This weeklong Rhode Island summer program explores different oceanographic themes such as biological oceanography, ocean technology, or physical oceanography. Through a variety of hands-on activities, demonstrations, and field investigations, campers explore the dynamic properties of the global ocean, the animals that live within it, and the tools and technologies used for ocean exploration. Throughout the week, campers tune into live oceanographic expeditions and are surrounded by video, audio, and other oceanographic data, experiencing the amazing ocean discoveries that unfold at the ISC in real time. Campers also visit university laboratory facilities, engage with scientists that are involved in active missions, and discover ocean careers.
The Summer 2018 session of the Inner Space Center’s (ISC’s) Ocean Science Exploration Camp will take place from July 23-27, 2018, and will focus on biological oceanography. Biological oceanography is the study of marine animals, their distribution and abundance, and how they interact with and adapt to the ocean environment. During this week-long, day camp, campers (ages 11-14) will follow the dynamic, ocean food chain, starting at the bottom with microscopic life and culminating with large, macroscopic predators such as sharks and whales. Using the tools of biological oceanographers, campers will explore the physiology of survival in diverse marine environments, from the shallow ocean to the deep, dark, benthic environments found along the ocean seafloor, as well as investigate how climate change is influencing life in the oceans.
Registration for the July 2018 Biological Oceanography session of Ocean Science Exploration camp is now FULL.
No addition registrations are being accepted at this time.
Dates: Monday, July 23- Friday, July 27, 2018
**Camp runs from 9:00 am- 3:00 pm, Monday-Friday.
Cost: $495 per camper (plus a 3% processing fee for credit card payments).
- Full payment, or at least a 50% deposit due within one week of registration. Once this initial payment is received, your child will be officially registered for the July 2018 session of ISC Ocean Science Exploration Camp.
- A 15% discount is available to current University of Rhode Island faculty and staff.
- Registration is on a first come/first serve basis. Registration will be capped at 24, at which time the camp will be full.
- Only one registration may be completed at a time.
If you have any questions about the July 2018 Biological Oceanography session of ISC camp, please contact Holly Morin (firstname.lastname@example.org; 401-874-6414).
Previous Ocean Science Exploration Camp themes:
- Geological Oceanography (2017)
- Chemical Oceanography (2016)
- Physical Oceanography (2015)
- Ocean Technology (2014)