LIVE CLASSROOM INTERACTION
NOAA’s Office of Ocean Exploration and Research is offering a very limited number of live ocean exploration interactions to classrooms of educators who’ve participated in the NOAA OER educator professional development workshop Exploring the Deep Ocean with NOAA. Interactions will be between classrooms and OER staff at the Inner Space Center at the University of Rhode Island during the 2019 exploration field season. This is a tremendous opportunity for students to learn more about ocean science and the current explorations of the NOAA Ship Okeanos Explorer.
For the most engaging two-way audio/video interactions between the ISC and a classroom, video (live when available or pre-recorded), graphics and animations are inserted into the call from our studio.
- All connections are executed using Skype.
- All interactions are 30-minutes and include time for questions from the students.
- All selected sites are required to schedule a 15-minute connection test ~1 week prior to the interaction.
- A laptop or computer
- A projector and screen for large audience viewing
- Free Skype software installed on the laptop or computer that will be used for the interaction
- A free Skype account
- Ethernet cable (connecting with only wi-fi might reduce the quality of the video received)
- A webcam, to be pointed at the audience for the return feed, preferably external to the laptop
- A microphone for the interaction leader or audience members
- An audio visual or IT technician who would be able to work with the venue’s audio visual system and work with our technical support team at ISC for any troubleshooting purposes.
- Verify that Skype is not blocked by the venue’s network firewall!
- Application deadline is May 6. Filling out this form does not guarantee a live interaction opportunity.
- Interaction dates are noted within the application and are extremely limited.
- Applications will be reviewed May 6 – May 10.
- Accepted applicants will be notified by May 17, 2019.